Created to demonstrate the unlimited street potential of Cavalier, the 263 Super Sport is one of the fastest production-based Cavaliers ever built. This California tuner-theme vehicle, coated in a screaming shade of tangerine, is meant to satisfy the cravings of the West Coast youth who are legendary for customizing their vehicles to express their individuality and personalities. "The vehicle displays a selection of the many accessories and performance parts now under consideration at GM SPO, and demonstrates the street-performance potential of the next generation four-cylinder Ecotec engine," said Mary Wernette, Cavalier brand manager.
The 263 Super Sports performance is as hot as its looks, thanks to the supercharged, 16-valve 2.2-liter Ecotec engine. The engine produces 262.6 hp at 6500 rpm and 228 lb-ft of torque at 5000 rpm. The Super Sport also is a showcase for a "roots" type supercharger with a liquid-to-air intercooler system, consisting of:
* Liquid-to-air intercooler
* Cast aluminum inlet and outlet tanks with structural mounting supports
* A Jabsco circulation pump
* A fabricated aluminum reservoir
* A Superior charge coolant radiator mounted in front of the air conditioning condenser and plumbed with Aeroquip steel-braided hose and fittings
The Cavalier 263 Super Sport also has an automatic transmission and performance exhaust with Rytek tuner chrome exhaust tip. A unique tuner-theme body kit includes new front fascias, rear fascias and body side molding, wheel flares, and a functional rear spoiler. New Hella 90mm headlamps give it a distinctive appearance. In addition, the rear fascia has been modified to accommodate the four-inch custom exhaust tip.
The suspension has been lowered by 1.75-inches for more aggressive handling, and a ground-hugging look. Cross-drilled, zinc-washed Baer Racing brakes, rotors and dual-piston aluminum calipers enhance the vehicles braking performance and appearance. And 18 x 7.5 HRE model 541 three-piece wheels with satin centers and polished rims, mated with 225 40/18-inch ZR rated Toyo Proxes T1-S tires, complete the package.
The exterior features Nippon tangerine orange paint, and the interior has Sparco Milano Pro 2000 front sport seats, with 263 script on the door trim inserts. The instrument panel has a custom cluster bezel cover and console, shift knob and parking brake handle. A 600-watt Kenwood Excelon audio system with CD, MP-3 and AM/FM player offers the tunes to match the performance. Perfect for the California tuner.
* Two-door sport coupe
* Front engine, front wheel drive
* 104.1-inch wheelbase
* 58.4-inch front / 58.6-inch rear track
* 2887 lbs. total weight, 65.5 percent front, 34.5 percent rear
* Aluminum block, aluminum head, double overhead cam, 16-valve engine
* Peak power: 262.6 hp @ 6500 rpm, peak torque: 228 lb-ft @ 5000 rpm
* Roots-type supercharger with liquid-air intercooling
* 4-speed automatic 4T65 transmission
* Equal length half shafts
* Independent, MacPherson strut front suspension
* Twist beam axle, coil over shock rear suspension
* Rack and pinion steering
* Baer four-wheel disk brakes with ABS
* Nippon custom tangerine orange paint
* Composite front and rear lower valances
* Fabricated tubular stainless steel, ceramic coated Wheel to Wheel exhaust manifold; 1.5-inch O.D. x 17-19-inches long, ceramic coated
* Fabricated stainless steel 3-inch Wheel to Wheel exhaust system
* Dynomax super converter, high flow catalytic converter
* Edelbrock 304 stainless muffler with 3-inch inlet and outlet
* Corsa polished stainless exhaust tip, 3.5 O.D.
* Variable rate coil springs with 1.75-inch reduced ride height