Front-wheel drive drag racing fans will surely notice a new addition on the strip this season when the Cavalier 425 A/FX coupe exhibition vehicle debuts. Built as a companion to GM Racings new 650 hp-plus front-wheel drive car, the new Cavalier 425 A/FX coupe will tour the increasingly popular FWD drag circuit along with the race car.
The 425 A/FX Cavalier is a turbocharged show car that features a modified version of GMs new Ecotec 2.2-liter engine and a five-speed manual transmission.
"This new 425 A/FX Cavalier exhibition vehicle stretches the Cavalier brand and the Ecotec 2.2-liter engine to amazing heights," said Mary Wernette, Cavalier brand manager. "It makes a strong impact both in appearance and performance."
The turbocharged Ecotec achieves 425 hp. It has a modified stock block and head, Wheel to Wheel exhaust manifold, custom crankshaft and valve train, aftermarket crank, rods and pistons and electronic engine management system. It also features an innovative turbo ice-to-air fabricated intercooler.
Engineers made significant suspension modifications, using Cadillac STS front knuckles, Corvette rear wheel bearing and hub assembly, shorter Corvette axles, as well as rear half shafts and CV joints, and a Woodward rear steering rack.
Exterior changes include a lighter body, a safety roll cage fabricated of Wheel to Wheel 4130 chrome moly tubing and a tubular chassis fabricated forward of the firewall. A one-piece lift-off carbon fiber front end section includes the fascia, hood and flared front fenders. The Cavalier 425 exhibition coupe also has custom carbon fiber rocker molding, rear fascia, spoiler and rear deck.
Wilwood Engineering Dynalite Single Floater Caliper brakes, Monocoque Racing Wheels and Mickey Thompson E/T Drag tires differentiate the car from its production version.
Nippon Better n Balsleys Yellow custom-mix paint offers a bright, bold exterior. Using crushed mirrors and helicone, the paint features extra sparkle and shine. The rear fascia is accented in Nippon Charcoal Gray, textured with recycled rubber powder.
Inside, designers used Kirkey Fabricatings Deluxe Drag seat in .080 thick 5052 grade aluminum with leather Kirkey trim body color. The body color appears throughout the interior. A SPA Technique Alpha Competition Steering wheel adds an additional touch of authenticity.
* Highly modified Cavalier coupe to serve as front-wheel drive drag racing exhibition vehicle
* Modified 2.2-liter Ecotec front-wheel drive turbocharged engine that achieves 425 hp
* Five-speed manual transmission
* Modified stock block and head, Wheel to Wheel exhaust manifold, custom crankshaft and valve train, aftermarket crank, rods and pistons and electronic engine management system
* Innovative turbo ice-to-air fabricated intercooler
* Cadillac STS front knuckles, Corvette rear wheel bearing and hub assembly, shorter Corvette axles, rear half shafts and CV joints
* Woodward rear steering rack
* Safety roll cage fabricated of Wheel to Wheel 4130 chrome moly tubing
* Custom carbon fiber rocker molding, rear fascia, spoiler and rear deck
* Nippon Better n Balsleys Yellow custom-mix paint with crushed mirrors
* Aluminum Kirkey Fabricatings deluxe drag seat
Click Here To Return To Race Vehicles