We've run everything from complete crate engines to short-block builds on the dyno; most of which have seen success. Ground up engine builds still garner most of the attention though. There's just something about doing things yourself. It's the mindful approach that allows the builder to maintain an overall sense of control and allows them to pay careful attention to details. Obviously, there are plenty of preassembled stroker short-blocks available, but this time around we're going back to our roots and starting from ground zero.
It all starts with a bare block, and to handle ours we headed to Quarter Mile Performance (QMP) in Chatsworth, California, for a more hands on approach for our machine work. There, we completely prepped our bare four-bolt main 350 small-block from Engine Quest for its new life as a 383ci street brawler.
With our core in hand, we sent it through the ringer and gave it an align-hone, bore, deck, and hone; we even did a bit of clearancing for the longer rods on the CNC mill. This is something you're going to have to source out, so follow along as we detail our block's journey from bland to bold. The next time you see our block, we'll be installing a complete stroker rotating assembly from Eagle Specialty Products and topping it off with Edelbrock heads and manifold.
What We Did
Align-hone, bore, deck, clearance, chamfer, and hone
Our block is ready for its new life as a stroker engine
Engine cores are becoming more difficult to find. The good news is, Engine Quest can fill
Our bare block came complete with a full set of main caps and bolts with a two-piece rear
Proper tools and supplies for a job of this magnitude are a must. We picked
Right out of the crate, we loaded our bare block into the align-hone machine at QMP. We nu
We set aside the factory main bolts and upgraded to a much stronger set of 12-point main b
Michael Consolo cut each cap, removing 0.010-inch of material right off the bat. This gave
Paying close attention to detail, Consolo used a hand file to chamfer the edge of each cap
The main caps now had a perfectly flat surface. Following our numbered caps, we installed