The folks at Edelbrock have been busy refining their Total Power Package systems, making them hassle-free for anyone who wants a tested and proven engine combination. Edelbrock has taken all of the guesswork out of choosing the right parts by including all of the top-end pieces for your application and dyno-testing to ensure excellent power while retaining lots of drivability. This system offers two choices depending on engine operating rpm. There is the Performer Package (1,000-5,500 rpm) and the Performer RPM Package (1,500-6,500 rpm). For even more extended power at high engine speeds, the Performer RPM Package now offers a hydraulic-roller camshaft.

We wanted to see how much power could be had with one these systems, especially since we were planning to use a shorter-stroke 327 engine, to reduce the parasitic loss of a larger 350 or 383, for our test. Given that we have plans to install the engine in a manual-transmission car with performance gears, we chose the Performer RPM Package and the Performer RPM hydraulic-roller camshaft. Of course we couldn't leave well enough alone and opted to spray a small 100hp nitrous shot from the Edelbrock Performer RPM nitrous line.

But before we could bolt any of these parts to our 327, it was in dire need of a rebuild. This particular 327 was pulled out of a Chevy pickup several years ago, only to be stored indoors. To say it was greasy is a total understatement, so we began our quest at Larry's Performance in Montebello, California, where we stripped the block down, hot-tanked it clean, and checked it for cracks and any needed machining. The cleaning and inspection process showed the block was in good condition with no cracks and only needed boring (0.030 inch over) and resurfacing of the deck. The new bore size increased the engine's displacement to 332 ci. The crankshaft passed inspection and only needed 0.010 inch ground from the main and rod journals. After a day of machining at Larry's Performance, the crew assembled the engine with new Speed-Pro forged pistons, Scat connecting rods, and Clevite bearings, and installed the Edelbrock hydraulic-roller cam. We then installed a new Milodon pan and timing cover and attached the Edelbrock heads with a set of Milodon head bolts. Up top we added a set of Comp Pro magnum 1.52:1 roller rockers and a Performer RPM Air Gap intake and Edelbrock Performer 800-cfm carburetor. With the engine assembled with new parts, we headed across town to the Edelbrock dyno to measure the results.